WORCESTER, Mass. – Three families almost lost everything in a fire, but say they still have a lot to be thankful for, thanks to some young Good Samaritan’s.
As reported by Boston 25 Local, Late Wednesday night, an apartment building on Hamilton Street quickly filled with smoke and flames had engulfed the back of the building. Thankfully, a group of Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (JROTC) members from North High School were driving by.
“I would be dead. I would be dead, there’s no doubt about it,” said Danielle Cormier one of the victims.
“I was like, ‘Is that a fire?’ And we passed the house a little bit and Abdel was like, ‘Yeah, that’s a fire’ so I was like ‘Pull over,'” said Marquis Bell.
Another man saw what was going on and stopped to help. All five of them ran into the building with no hesitation.
“I knocked a couple times on the second door and no one was answering so we started kicking down the second door,” said Jordan Parker.
“When we went in you could start to smell the fire and we were coughing a lot but we kind of pushed that aside,” said Raesean Goodney.
The “fantastic four” of North HS in #Worcester – these JROTC members saw an apartment building on fire and ran inside. Two families inside had NO IDEA their homes were on fire. Hear from them & two very grateful moms late tonight on @boston25 pic.twitter.com/2xN64BWSXL
— Elysia Rodriguez (@ElysiaBoston25) November 24, 2018
Cormier was shocked and indicated she really didn’t know what was going on.
“Five men are in my bedroom just screaming at me, I was about to get my baseball bat and it finally made sense that they were saying there’s a fire in your house, so you need to leave, you need to get out,” she said.
“I guess it was just like instinct we just grabbed them and ran right down,” said Abderrah Mansebbai.
Neighbors, co-workers, and friends have all come forward to help.
“I had the best Thanksgiving ever because my kids were all there with me, my cats were alive, it was the best Thanksgiving I’ve ever had,” said Cormier.
Unfortunate start to the Thanksgiving Holiday, 13 residents displaced from 2 alarm fire at 327 Hamilton St. Great work by group 4 knocking down heavy fire on arrival and quickly containing the fire. No injuries, Fire Investigations is on scene pic.twitter.com/pgy5Kwgeeb
— Worcester Fire Dept. (@WorcesterFD) November 22, 2018
Reports are indicating everyone made it out safe.
Watch the News Report from Boston 25 Local: